An entry in the daily returns for this unit records that:
“No 217 Maintenance Unit was formed on 17th January 1955 as a result of the amalgamation of No’s 244 and 279 Maintenance Units, Wing Commander W G Clegg OBE, was posted in as the Commanding Officer.”
The next record reads:
“No 9 Mobile Oxygen Plant Unit. This Unit was transferred from RAF Kinloss to No 217 Maintenance Union on 25th January 1955. Service personnel arrived on this date and the plant is to follow at a later date.”
A few weeks later in Feb 1955 the Unit also took responsibility from No 95 Maintenance Unit and assumed control of RAF Riseley and RAF Lords Bridge.
Stats for Feb 1955 show the following personnel numbers:
RAF - Officers
Civilians – Officers